This personal information must be handled properly under the Data Protection Act 1998 (‘the DPA’). The Act regulates the way that we handle ‘personal data’ that we collect in the course of carrying out our functions and gives certain rights to people whose ‘personal data’ we may hold.
Personal data means any recorded information held by us and from which a living individual can be identified. It will include a variety of information, including names, addresses, telephone numbers, photographs of people and other personal details. It will include any expression of opinion about a living individual or any indication of our intentions about that individual.
We are registered with the Information Commissioner to process personal data and are named as a data controller under the register kept by the Information Commissioner in accordance with section 19 of the DPA.
We will ensure that:
- everyone managing and handling personal information understands that they are responsible for following good data protection practice
- there is someone with specific responsibility for data protection in the organisation
- staff who handle personal information are appropriately supervised and trained
- methods of handling personal information are regularly assessed and evaluated
- any disclosure of personal data will be in compliance with approved procedures
- we take all necessary steps to ensure that personal data is kept secure at all times against unauthorised or unlawful loss or disclosure
You can find out more about the Data Protection Act 1998 on the Information Commissioner's website.